Here is a list of some gCADPlus features
- Modern CAD interface - ability to save workspaces.
- Comprehensive symbol library - add your own to the gCADPlus sets
- Great entity snapping tools
- Open several drawings at once
- AutoCAD compatible commands.
- Import/Export DXF files
- Precision control over layers, line types, colors, line widths, layouts (pages), dimensioning and text styles
- Export designs to SketchUp
- Reduce your carbon footprint. Email copies of your designs in PDF for clients to view using Acrobat Reader.
- Runs under Windows, Mac and Linux [a Windows emulator such as CrossOver, Parallels, Fusion or WINE is required]
- Full suite of CAD tools. Most commands are AutoCAD compatible in name and operation. No need to buy a copy of AutoCAD.
- Access hundreds of plant and detail symbols. Introduce variation into symbols if desired. Apply shadowing to symbols.
- Draw in model space and print from any number of layout sheets.
- Comprehensive online help. Hundreds of YouTube videos showing how to use the software.
- Language switching - English (default) French, German, Czech, Dutch, Russian, Spanish
- Automated plant schedule tool. No more tedious counting to create plant lists. Broad scale plant schedule option.
- Extract plant schedule data to spreadsheets such as Excel and Google Docs for material lists and costing.
- Load AutoCAD files from survey firms and architects as a base for your work. Use the Teigha file converter to change from AutoCAD dwg format to DXF and import to gCADPlus.
- Supports shp, JPEG2000 and ERMapper files for GIS application.
- Import field GPS survey data files in CSV and GPX format.
- Export costing data such as plant schedules in CSV format and load into spreadsheets.
- Work with templates and pre-defined layer sets or create your own.
- Assess designs using an in-built sustainability calculator.
- Extract lists of all blocks in a drawing and pass to databases such as MS Access.
- Automated ground cover spacing and species number calculator.
- Automated massed planting tool.
- Save and switch to various workspaces.
- Attach a unique plant database for each design file as required, or run with your favorite plant list on every job, filtering it as needed.
- Store extended data with symbols - details of paving, decking, furniture, grass and species.
- Turn text in a drawing into a web link.
- Area calculation and area mark tools. Make tables showing setout points.
- Use personal plant database software (SppDb) inside gCADPlus.
- Insert color photographs of selected plants into your drawings.
- Print PDF versions of your designs and email to clients.
- Save drawings as PDF without the need to install a PDF printer.
- Save snapshots of designs to BMP, JPEG or PNG.
- Pass designs to SketchUp and build 3D models quickly and easily.
- Access DeepRoot powered Online Plant Database or link to a full, locally installed, DeepRoot database. Use stunning royalty-free images to illustrate designs.
- Free access to a comprehensive suite of online videos for learning to use gCADPlus.
Use gCADPlus to lower your costs by emailing a PDF containing multiple sheets to your clients. Export gCADPlus designs to SketchUp for 3D modeling, animation and rendering.
More movies showing gCADPlus in action:
More than 700 movies on YouTube - just type gCADPlus in the YouTube search box.
Free online learning
Design at full size in model space. Switch from model space to paper space and create any number of layout sheets on any size paper. Present different parts of a design using one or more floating viewports. Incorporate photos of plant species and 'hardscape' elements into layouts. Scale view ports independently of one another at fixed or variable scales.
The figure below shows the gCADPlus drawing environment. Click the image below to view a high resolution PDF version of this drawing.
Windows, Mac and Linux O/S
Use gCADPlus on Windows or Mac computers (with an emulator such as Crossover or Parallels on your Mac, WINE under Linux). Runs in Windows XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10.
gCADPlus features an elegant CAD interface with model space and layout spaces configured to your own preferences including the content of toolbar icons. In contrast to other landscape tools, the interface is simple.
Automate plant schedule information
Tag symbols in a design with species name. Pick top left and bottom right and the schedule is drawn automatically, counting plants used in the design as it goes. Add or remove new symbols and update the plant schedule.
Extract costing from designs
Export plant schedules to CSV files ready for importation into Excel (or other spreadsheets) for costing.
Working with AutoCAD files
Work with AutoCAD files (dwg) by using a tool such as Teigha Convert or Autodesk's TrueView application to convert dwg files to DXF ready for importation into gCADPlus.
Use predefined layer sets
Use a predefined set of layers in gCADPlus. Add your preferred layer set to default drawings. Move entities to correct layer with the Match Properties tool. Filter layers using the advanced Layer Manager
Extract block data
The properties of every block in a drawing can be exported to XML format ready for importation to databases such as MS Access. Filter the data using forms and get precise information about location of blocks.
Ground cover calculator
Point to a polyline delineating an area to be planted - nominate the species, a spacing distance and assign the species to a plant data file. gCADPlus calculates the number of plants required, tags the polyline and stamps a ground cover area number.
Select from hundreds of symbols.
Plant data file
Attach a plant data file to a design. Tag symbols for inclusion in a plant schedule.
Present designs and parts of designs on any number of layout sheets.
Personal plant data file
Use with personal plant databases such as SppDb. Copy the path to image files and place the image on layout sheets.
gCADPlus installs in about 50 Mb of disk space and makes very little demand on computer resources. Any modern computer capable of running Windows should be suitable for gCADPlus.